PixCel software data sheet
- PixCellent's advanced
camera control software for image acquisition, display and storage.
- Support for 12, 14, and 16-bit image display under Windows
- Automated capture and multi-frame playback of extended sequences.
- Wide variety of ways of interacting with captured data.
- Saving of images in a variety of standard formats including
- Full 32-bit optimised code for fastest most efficient operation.
PixCel is an integrated software package that allows full control
of PixCellent cameras, the capture of complex
image sequences, display and storage of images and provides a
broad range of interactive functions. PixCel includes a complete
graphical user interface, based on Microsoft Windows 95/98.
It is designed specifically for controlling the capture of images
cooled and uncooled digital cameras. The interface uses all the
graphical facilities provided by Microsoft Windows 95 such as
pull-down menus and icons making PixCel easy and intuitive to
use. PixCel is also explicitly designed to interface PixCellent systems to other proprietary
analytical software products
Camera control facilities
PixCel supports PixCellent
cooled and uncooled CCD cameras systems currently available, providing
complete control and set-up of the camera. Precise camera control
functions vary according to camera type, but typically include:
Focusing mode - the user is able to select:
- exposure duration - sets the time the shutter remains open,
or the charge is allowed to build up on the CCD, from milliseconds
- binning factor - the desired binning factor can be selected
in both the X and Y directions in order to increase the sensitivity
and readout speed in situations where spatial resolution is not
critical. Any binning factor from 1 to full image can be selected
in either direction independently.
- readout speed - the user is able to select the best choice
for their application.
- sensitivity - the controller gain can be adjusted for maximum
sensitivity or widest dynamic range.
- region of interest - the user can select sub-array readout
or full-frame readout of the CCD. Sub-array readout is particularly
useful for initial focusing and alignment of the camera and to
speed image read out.
Sequence readout mode - the user can choose:
- triggering - from the spacebar or user port together with
a variety of flushing options.
- pre-flushing - to remove any unwanted charge in the CCD which
may have built up whilst not in use prior to an image being taken.
- repetition rate - the user can choose the time delay between
- looping - the ability to capture images in a flush, expose,
display cycle with either single or multi repetition.
Calibration image acquisition - allows the acquisition of
reference for the calibration of image sequences.
- dark exposure reference - to record the image that the CCD
gives with no light for background subtraction.
- flatfield calibration - to record an image for correcting
any system sensitivity gradients.
To load a full image here (129Kbytes), click
Image display, interrogation and manipulation
Once an image or sequence of images has been taken, PixCel
allows the user to step or skip through the sequence to allow
different images to be examined. The functions provided in the
PixCel system are described below:
Image View Screen
- Image view - display of current image in grey scale or pseudo
colour. Images may be zoomed in or out and scrolled around interactively.
- Plot - profile of the grey-level values along a straight
line at any angle selected interactively.
Plot View Screen
- Histogram - histogram of pixel values in an image or selected
sub-region of an image.
- Pixel view - co-ordinates and grey-level value of a pixel
in an image.
- User values - parameters used to acquire the sequence of
images and camera control voltages.
Histogram View Screen
- Cut - extraction of a rectangular zone in an image to generate
a new image.
- Normalise - rescale image data values (eg: between 0 and
Pixel View Screen
- Status bar - gives interactive pixel position and grey level
read out as well as essential camera status information.
- Image mapping - interactive control of image display brightness
and contrast, including predefined look up tables.
- Statistics - display a comprehensive selection of statistical
information for full image or selected subregions.
Interfaces to PixCel
PixCel offers an intuitive graphical user interface which allows
both full camera operation and a simple interface to complementary
analytical software from companies such as Media Cybernetics,
Optimas, Synoptics and Noesis.
Data storage and Export formats
PixCel has the ability to be interfaced to many other packages
by exporting images and data in the following internationally
- TIFF 8 & 16-bit format
- Windows bitmap
- FITS 16-bit data
- Prisma and PrismaSoft
- Windows clipboard
- CSV (comma separated values)
- Data may also be extracted from images and transferred into
many other packages such as Microsoft Excel.
PixCel is directly compatible and fully integrated with the
following software packages:
A comprehensive manual including tutorial is provided with
pages on this Web Site are Copyright of PixCellent Imaging Ltd.,
Cambridge, England. Reproduction in part is permitted with acknowledgement
to PixCellent Imaging Ltd., and of this Web Site Address (http://www.pixcellent.com/).
Site last updated: 16 April, 1999.